Hiking & walking holidays are a 2012 travel trend. Photo credit: SeekingGreener.com.
Cheapflights has highlighted five important trends that will shape the travel landscape in 2012.
Here are the company’s Top 5 Travel Trends For 2012:
1) Value for Money: “Consumers should be looking out for freebies, sales, discounts and two-for-ones. The industry should see a rise in consumer demand for things like package holidays, all-inclusives and cruises…Old Eurozone favorites such as Spain, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Portugal will most likely go up in popularity, particularly for short breaks.”
2) Rise in Pet Travel: “The UK’s Pet Travel Scheme will make it easier than ever to travel within the EU (and) some non-EU countries. Pets such as dogs, cats and ferrets can skip the currently required blood test and the £100 cost associated with it and will spend less time in quarantine.”
3) Athletic Voluntourism Holidays: “Getting into the Olympic spirit, (2012) is set to see the introduction of a new holiday ‘type’ trend – athletic voluntourism… This trend is growing and spreading into other areas of sport including cycling, hiking and walking.”
4) Reality TV Drives Destination Trends: “Mykonos in Greece (gained) a whopping 89% rise in search after X Factor Judge Tulisa took her singing hopefuls there to compete…Cannes in the South of France (climbed) by 39% after serving as the location for a Made in Chelsea episode.”
5) The New Upgrade: “Freebies, perks and new ways to upgrade will define the face of flying for 2012…There will be new and creative ways to give yourself a mini-upgrade for more leg room, more luggage room and more comfort.”